Sunday, March 14, 2010

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Director: Tim Burton
Screenplay: Linda Woolverton
Based on novel by: Lewis Carroll
Starring: Mia Wasikowska as Alice
Rating: 4

Tagline: You've got a very important date

Amusing quote:
The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
[Alice checks Hatter's temperature]
Alice Kingsley: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Description from imdb:
19-year-old Alice returns to the magical world from her childhood adventure, where she reunites with her old friends and learns of her true destiny: to end the Red Queen's reign of terror.

My two bits:
Instead of the usual Alice poster, you can see I selected the Tweedles. My favorite of the characters. And the one of the Cheshire Cat and White Rabbit are here too because they aren't as prominent as the other posters i.e. Mad Hatter, Red Queen and White Queen.

Just came back from watching the 3D version of the film. The movie visually rockssssssssss! It met my expectations in that way and it's one of those ones I want to watch again and again for the nuances I may have missed in the various colorfully detailed scenes.

For those of us who know the story, it is not so hard to go with this storyline. We know Alice's history in Wonderland and are familiar with the tenants of that land. We also get to see some of Alice's reality before and after her adventure in Wonderland.

This movie was a visually entertaining bit of whimsy for an Alice story. As an Alice story should well be.

I really loved the costumes and Alice was very fashionable. I've collected what I could of Alice's different dresses. My favorite is the one that the Mad Hatter quickly fashioned for her (a la Edward Scissorhands) at the tea table. The picture I found below is of Alice teeny tiny so it's a bit hard to see the dress. There was a cute flowery corsage-y thing attached to the front of it which was a nice touch.

I tried but could not find her outfit while she was at the Red Queen's castle. That was a quite a number. Let me know if you see one and then I'll be able to add it here.







~*~

I, I'll get by
I, I'll survive
When the world's crashing down
When I fall and hit the ground
I will turn myself around
Don't you try to stop me
I, and I won't cry
-partial lyrics from Alice (Underground) by Avril Lavigne


~*~

Found it! In this Danny Elfman soundtrack preview,
you'll see flashes of Alice in her red costume:





~*~

Alice Compendium
thanks to icitea
for sending me this link
you can see dresses and sketches

and here's the teeny tiny dress that i liked that mentioned above...


and here's Alice in the red...


~*~

* part of Alice in Whatsitland (see schedule)

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu