Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My Scrumptious Scottish Dumplings by Cherry Whytock


My Scrumptious Scottish Dumplings: The Life of Angelica Cookson Potts
by Cherry Whytock
Genre: Comedy
Published: 2003
Hardback: 169 pages
Rating: 4

Inspiration: While browsing at the library I picked this book up because of the title - Scotland is a place I've always wanted to visit.

Description from amazon.com:
In this follow-up to My Cup Runneth Over (2003), Angel's tribulations--to be interpreted loosely, as she lives in posh Knightsbridge, goes to fancy spas, and has a live-in cook and gardener--stem not from her physique ("a wee bit stout"), but from her Scottish father's eccentricity. When Dad accuses Harrods of selling a substandard version of haggis, the department store bans the family from shopping there. It's an unendurable situation that requires aid from all of Angel's friends--and even one of her enemies--to resolve. The silliness here is even more rampant than in Angel's debut, but it's refreshing to see a series about a robustly proportioned teenage girl that focuses on more than body image and boys. Food, however, is still of central importance to aspiring chef Angel, and more of her favorite recipes (mercifully, haggis isn't among them) are scattered throughout.

My thoughts:
In-a-word: Haggis (don't know what it looks or tastes like, but it's fun to say)
I didn't realize that this is actually book 2 of a series. No worries though because this book works as a stand-alone. This was a fast and cute read. The writing style reminded me of Louise Rennison's Georgia Nicolson series. Stream-of-consciousness. The cuteness is in the line drawings incorporated throughout. Funny and fun images! Oh, and because the main character is into food and possibly becoming a chef, recipes of delicious treats are included in most chapters. I'm going to try the Mud Pie. yum!

-->> the blurb pointing at the Angela character says "why do I always grab my bottom when I'm surprised?" hee-hee

Coinkydink: The Angela character is also a fan of the Naked Chef - Jamie Oliver! He's my fave all-time chef too!

Series:
My Cup Runneth Over
My Scrumptious Scottish Dumplings
My Saucy Stuffed Ravioli


 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu